Below is my general list of “Rules” that I live by. Everyone’s life is different so you can apply my rules or you can find ones that fit into yours. If you have specific questions, shoot ‘em at me!!
- I am a FIRM believer that a good weight loss ratio is; 70% Diet, 15% Resistance Training and 15% Cardio, in that order of importance.
- No Carbs After Lunch. This is a recent addition to my list of rules. I’ve taken it from Bob Harper’s book, The Skinny Rules. It forces me to get my carbs in at lunch time. I am not getting paid to endorse this book although I wish I was. I have been implementing so many of his rules already but the few that I’ve added to my list, I PROMISE, will boost you weight loss.
- Go to Bed Hungry. I also adapted this from Bob Harper’s Rules. It’s not easy
- Track everything you eat, all the exercise you do every day! It’s incredibly eye opening and becomes really easy over time. I recommend My Fitness Pal. Add me as a friend and we can encourage each other. It helps to have people supporting you.
- Set Goals! If you aren’t reaching for a goal there is nothing to hit. Write it down. In My Fitness Pal you can set up the amount of weight you want to lose. If your goals aren’t tied to weight loss then write those down and put them somewhere.
- Music is a must for me! From running, lifting weights to cooling down, I need something in my ear so I can’t hear myself breathing heavy. Nothing gets me going like a ROCKING Playlist. I mix it up and keep it fresh.
- You don’t have to eat gobs of animal protein to lose weight. I watched a movie called ‘Forks over Knives’ on Netflix and decided that eating meat sparingly was the answer for me. I didn’t cut it out totally but I limit it to 5% of my intake. Veggies, Yogurt and Nuts are full of protein.
- Eat LOADS of fruits and veggies.. .YUM! Pinterest is a really good source for vegetarian (sometimes VEGAN) recipes. Your palate will change. It takes some time. I will be adding some of my favorite starter foods to my blog.
- Go easy on the milk and cheese. Yes this means ice cream. Does it mean you have to cut it out?…NO!! I eat Greek yogurt over blueberries or strawberries or both just about every day.
- Eat whole grains!! I eat sprouted toast with peanut butter pretty much every morning before I work out. Some people enjoy oatmeal with berries and nuts. That is a good option too.
- Make One Day a Week Meatless. This is a Bob Harper rule. I personally eat 5-6 days a week meatless and found it speeds my weight loss.
- STOP eating fast foods! (Except maybe on your splurge day see rule 17)
- Make Your Own Food and Eat at Least Ten Meals a Week at Home
- The processed grains are for the birds. Not literally but the closest you can stay to whole grains the better.
- Eat 30 to 50 Grams of Fiber a Day, Bob Harper’s rule.
- Eat Apples and Berries Every Single Day. Every. Single. Day! Bob’s rule, but I’m totally on board with this.
- If it helps you to stay on track, plan a meal where you splurge. Once a week to start out with but if you can push it out farther after that do so. I am finally to the point where I am completely satisfied with half a cupcake and as long as I’m eating it by lunch time and accounting for the calories it doesn’t rock my world.
- Drink a Large Glass of Water Before Every Meal.
SWEATING AT THE GYM
- I get bored easily. It’s important for me to switch things up regularly not to mention if you’re switching things up your body won’t get used to the same thing.
- Get physical 6 days a week. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose, just do it.
- Start with a 10 minute sprint. 30 seconds on at about 90% speed and 15 seconds standing still. This is the best way to get your body moving and sweating.
- Mon, Wed, Friday should go…Sprints 10 min, total body resistance training, 10 minutes of any cardio of choice.
- Tues, Thurs, Sat…Cardio. I get bored easy I do 10 minutes of Sprints, 20 minutes of the Stair climber(this still kills me) or spinning bike, 10-20 minutes of rowing machine and anything else to make up 50 minutes total. Make it like a triathlon.
- Sleep is crucial in weight loss. This can take some real self-control. Turn off the T.V., close the book, whatever you are doing STOP and go to sleep. Early to bed, early to rise is just plain better for your body. It makes it easier to lose weight and gives you more energy to exercise.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST!
- You are amazing, you deserve to feel good and healthy. FIRST, LOVE, YOURSELF…FYI…remember this!